Saturday, December 1, 2012

Tis the Season to Wish Folks......... What?



There’s always a lot of 'talk’ this time of year, especially on facebook (the great source of all things social) about how folks will be wishing others a ‘Merry Christmas’ rather than ‘Happy Holidays’.  This chatter runs the gamut, especially by way of pictures posted. 

Some are as simple as:
 


Others are much more explicit in their religious overtones:


I get it.  I do.  Well, to a point.  Christians who wish to celebrate the birth of their Lord and Savior want to wish folks, and be wished, a Merry Christmas.  However, some folks become very vehement about their reasons and responses to being wished something other than Merry Christmas (almost to the point of being a little un-Christ like, if you ask me). 

I grew up in a Christian home.  Albeit a laid-back, non-denominational Christian home.  Yet, Merry Christmas is a part of my vernacular.  My husband grew up in a Buddhist home.  Guess what?  Merry Christmas is a part of his vernacular as well.  Punky wishes folks ‘Merry Christmas’.  I have absolutely no problem wishing folks, or being wished, a Merry Christmas.  When I say those words I know what they mean to me as I say them.  What they mean to the person receiving them is their business.  When someone says those words to me, what they mean by them isn’t my concern either.

Arguments, of the historic and academic variety, can be made that show celebrations during the month of December did not begin as a Christian holiday.  Only the most unlearned of folks, or those suffering from severe cognitive dissonance, would deny the very Pagan roots of the Christmas festivities.  A simple internet search can provide one with a wealth of sources regarding the origins of the various traditions associated with Christmas. 

The origin of the word Christmas comes from the Roman Catholic Church and literally means Christ Mass. It sorta ends there.  Christ wasn’t born on December 25th – I believe it was Saturn, the god of Sun, who was.  The bible (the last time I checked- and it’s been a while, so let me know if I missed something) does not ask followers, let alone require them, to celebrate the birth of Yeshua.  Christianity, through the years, has absorbed the pagan traditions and in some cases given new meaning to them to align better with the Christian faith.  To all that I say……sure.  Whatever.  And I still say Merry Christmas.

But nonetheless, during this time of year, Christmas is not the only holiday, religious or otherwise, that is being celebrated.  Long before there was a Christmas there was Chanukah.  In more recent news there is Kwanzaa, which I’m sure was celebrated for longer than I was aware of it.  I could get into a history lesson here on these two holidays, but it’s all on the internet for anyone to look up themselves.  My point is, not everyone is celebrating Christmas and more than that, not everyone who is celebrating Christmas is doing so for religious reasons (hello, that’s me).  I have friends and associates who are Christians that do not celebrate Christmas - either at all or with any religious attachments.

I still say Merry Christmas.  But guess what?  I’m fine when someone wishes me Happy Holidays.  I am fine with it now and I was fine with it when I was a participant in the religious movement of Christianity.  If saying Merry Christmas is what a person desires to do, with whatever meaning it holds for them, that is what they should be wishing folks.  If one is more inclined toward ‘Happy Holidays’ that is what one should say.  Duh, right?

But the overall point is this:  Let's all GET OVER IT.

Everyone stop making a big damn deal out of what is wished this time of year.  Wish what you want to whom you want and let them wish what they want to whom they want.  How someone else believes should have no bearing on how I believe or how anyone believes.  If it does……well, there might be a problem there that’s bigger than how one sends out Season’s Greetings!  





~Mari B.

13 comments:

  1. Finally, a reasonable post on this topic. We celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas (my Mom converted to Judaism over 20 years ago). There always seems to be something floating around in the air, at all times of the year, to make people get defensive or offensive about...but it makes a lot more sense to let our differences enhance life, create more curiosity about each other, and give us more reason to love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! In our house we celebrate a Cool Yule and Chilica.Last year a friend replied Happy Holidays to a bell ringer and the lady grabbed her arm and yelled that it was Merry Christmas and nothing else.There are some nuts out there for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holidays!
    Merry Christmas!
    Happy Chanukkah!
    Happy Kwanzaa!
    Blessed Solstice!
    Brightest Yule!
    etc. etc. and all of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog via Oak Meadow and I love it!Thank you for being a voice of reason I can identify with in this crazy community of homeschoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys rock! Thanks for the comments and following my little blog....

    I wish you all the best of any wishes that can be wished this holiday season!

    ~Mari B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas! Not Happy Hoidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you a very Happy Holidays. (Not sure what Hoidays are though).

      Delete
    2. hol·i·day[ hóllə dày ]
      legal day off: a day set aside by law or statute as exempt from regular labor or business activities, usually to celebrate or commemorate something that happened on or near that date
      holy day: the day or days of a religious festival

      Now if you don't want your Christmas to be holy, that is your option, but you should stop oppressing those who want to keep the HOLY in Holiday.

      Delete
    3. And a Happy Hanukkah to you.

      Delete
  7. Why do you screen your comments? How are you supposed to get 2 points of view? Who do you think you are, King Obama?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny! I screen to leave out the death threats - no point in those. Two points of view on topics is encouraged. Your point of view has been shared as well as your snide remark. You however, are wrong. There's my point of view.

      Delete
    2. Everyone needs to grow up. This country is so overrun with "offended" idiots, it's not even remotely funny. People will get offended over anything and everything. Don't worry about them. If you want to say Merry Christmas, then say it. Happy Holidays? Say it. If you want to flip off the jerk who is trying to ruin everyone's holidays by being a self centered jackass, then do it. It's YOUR holiday too. So celebrate/acknowledge it any way that you want to. If anyone has a problem with it, then can kiss grits.

      Delete
    3. Ooohh oooh! I know why! She screens her comments so that smart, intelligent, reasonable adults don't have to deal with idiots like you! OhGee!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Upon a quick review of your post - to make sure you have not made me cry or really ticked me off - your comments will appear!