Monday, December 31, 2012

A New year......an Old Expression



Out With the Old, In With the New?


As 2013 starts up her engines, we begin to see a familiar and old expression everywhere.  “Out with the old and in with the new!”  I am focusing on ‘Peace” for 2013.  A variety of similar themes seem to be what others are focusing on as well.  After seeing the “Out with the old…” expression again I was struck by a thought.  It left a mark, too.

When simplifying, organizing, and decluttering our lives why do we think we must always throw out the old to make room for the new?  Sure, in some cases, the old does need to be thrown out.  It can be a very good thing, I understand.  Throwing out old habits that aren’t good for you (exercising instead of watching television, chewing gum instead of smoking, letting go of toxic people to make room for new, healthy friends, etc).  But a lot of ‘old’ is awesome!  Perhaps it’s a reflection of my age (I don’t want to be ‘out’ just because I’m old) but I’m thinking that a lot of the old we have in our lives is in fact ‘old’ because it has weathered the test of time and should remain.


Old Clothes – they are a comfort to me, fitting so easily, and at times bringing back good memories of the fun I had while wearing them.  ‘Fits like an old shoe’ is an apt expression.  I may not wear these out and about, but they do sure enhance the experience of returning to my sanctuary for peace and respite.



Old (good) Habits/Traditions – the changes I incorporated in my life in previous years that helped propel me to the place at which I now am.  I certainly don’t want to throw these out.  Who would want to do that work again?  Those things that have become a part of ‘who we are’ must be savored and kept as well.  They help ground us as a family, as friends.



Old Mementos – my personal collection of memorabilia that brings a smile to my face and warm fuzzy feelings to my heart – from which I will not be parted.



Old Friends – are the best!  Old friends know me so well, are in tune with me, and me with them.  Not only can I make wonderful new memories with them, but they were there when the old memories were created and enjoy reliving them with me.  As we were taught in Girl Scouts ‘Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver but the other GOLD”.


So, as I work on my goal of Peace in 2013, I will be sure to keep these cherished ‘olds’ a part of it; for while “Out with the old, in with the new” is a popular idea, I think it is best to remember:

 To select well among old things, is almost equal to inventing new ones.” 
~ Nicholas Charles Trublet
 


Happy 2013!

~Mari B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Upon a quick review of your post - to make sure you have not made me cry or really ticked me off - your comments will appear!