Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Inappropriate Homeschooler's Top 10 Reasons to Love Christmas



The question was floated around the Inappropriate Homeschoolers group last week about why non-religious folks, such as myself, "bother" to celebrate Christmas.  At first I found the question a bit ignorant - given the fact that long before Christmas became associated with the birth of Yeshua, the Christian Savior, the holiday was strictly of Pagan origin.  There is plenty to love about this time of year that has nothing to do with religion.  Everything I love about this time of year is totally secular, with one exception. 

The Inappropriate Homeschooler's

 Top 10 reasons for loving Christmas!

# 10
Funny Christmas memes.  Seriously.  Who needs Christmas cards with all the memes, from the beautiful to the hilarious, that are on the internet!  

# 9
Delicious, fattening treats that aren't available any other time of year, both the home-made (Hello, Rum Balls!) and the store-bought (Chocolate Covered Cherries)!       

# 8
Christmas lights!  Driving around, all over, looking at the beautiful lights is a favorite tradition for our family!
 

#7
 Christmas Movies!  From the hilarious, 'Christmas Vacation', and 'Elf' to the heart warming, 'It's a Wonderful Life' and culminating on Christmas Eve with 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' and 'The Polar Express'.
 

#6
Christmas Trees and Ornaments!  I love decorating the tree and I love searching each year for that year's special family ornament! 

#5
The Music!  Here's where I enjoy the religious as much as the secular.  If it's Christmas music, I love it!  I do not care if it's secular or sacred, I love it all! 

#4    
The Christmas Day Meals!  It's the only time of year where certain dishes are made and enjoyed for both breakfast and dinner.  I look forward to both all year!  

#3
Presents!  I love to think of just what to get my family and then there are the 'surprise' finds.  After the wrapping is complete, seeing all those beautiful packages under the tree, even if there are only two or three, makes me smile! 

#2

 Christmas Morning!  The excitement of Punky's excitement is my greatest joy at Christmas!


#1    
As one of my favorite Christmas carols goes, "“In the air, there's a feeling of Christmas.” The feeling of Christmas!  It's an intangible, of course, but I feel it still, every year and it is powerful stuff. 


One does not need to be celebrating for religious reasons to experience the magic and wonder of the Christmas season!

 
 
Merry Christmas!
~Mari B.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Upon a quick review of your post - to make sure you have not made me cry or really ticked me off - your comments will appear!